<CT> Tip: Crank it down!

  • From: Alan Grimes <alangrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 00:27:36 -0500

Windows 3.11 can multitask pretty damn well. What you need to do is pop
open 386 enhanced in control pannel and start cranking those numbers
down...

The key number here is "minimum timeslice". Each task switch incurrs a
significant overhead. On a fast cpu, say P2 or better, overhead becomes
less important while response time becomes more fesable.

The numbers I use for my athlon 800 are:

Foreground: 70
Background: 40

- Nonexclusive

Minimum timeslice: 10.

With dos windows, select the settings for that particular window to
enable full preemptive multitasking for that dos box. =)

--
WHAT? DOS won't boot? IMPOSSIBLE!
http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/  <my website.