<CT> Suggestion / Calmira compatible CDs

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 09:50:47 +0100

Hi all,

What about extending the search dialog's capabilities so that it can
also search for file names in description files? I mean, a description
file is usually very small and a full text search is already there, so
it shouldn't be too hard. A checkbox for this option would also be nice
:). What this could be useful for? Well, for example I have a directory
with lots of text files with long (IFA assigned) file names, and often
important words don't appear in the first six characters... (I know,
text files are not really a good example, since they're usually quite
small, but searching names + descriptions only is faster anyway.)

Recently I found out how to burn 100% Calmira compatible CDs in Win9x
(with Nero, that's the only burning program I have and of which there is
a fairly recent version which runs with Win32s, but which requires a
SCSI CD writer and WINASPI drivers):
1. Convert LFNs to 4DOS descriptions with Maxim's utility (correct 8-bit
characters [öäüßéèê etc.] afterwards if necessary)
2. In Nero, disable the Joliet file system (we need the _short_ file
names) and use the DOS character set instead of the one from ISO9660
(the latter doesn't include the tilde ~, which is frequently used in
SFNs)
3. Well, that's about it.

BTW: If anyone here is using a Tandon NB/386sx or NB/486slc notebook
(FCC ID: IIRBC380/380A/380B/390), check out my new page:
http://home.t-online.de/home/jgrossklass/nb386sx.htm
(Being annoyed by tons of sites offering batteries but none with real
info, I decided to create a page myself.)

Stephan
--
Stephan Großklaß (7bit: Grossklass)
eMail: mailto:jgrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx | Webmaster: http://www.i24.com/