<CT> Sorting by name takes much longer than sorting by date - ? / Networking

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 13:53:46 +0100

Hi,

A minor annoyance in Calmira that I've been noticing for a while is this
one: When I open an icon window of my download directory (965 "objects",
480 megs at the moment) and choose to change the sorting from "by name"
to "by date" or "by size", this happens almost instantly (I hadn't
expected anything else from a PIII machine either). However, sorting by
type or switching back to sorting by name takes a while (about 5 seconds
- not much, but I don't want to know how long it would take on a DX/2).
Seems like there's still some potential for optimization?

Oh, another thing: Rarely, very rarely it happens that Alt-Tab stops
working and I have to use the mouse to select a program, which brings
the key combo back to life. Any insight on this one?

Yet another thing: In case someone should be planning to get a 100 MBit
NIC: I wouldn't recommend el-cheapo Realtek 8139 based cards, since the
driver sometimes halts the system for a few seconds (annoying). The
original Realtek driver's INF file (I'm using the driver for the 8139
based Allied Telesyn AT-2500TX, the binaries of which seem to be
identical) seems to contain some error - it confused the Network setup
so much that I found myself without config.sys, autoexec.bat and
system.ini recently - ouch...

Stephan
--
Stephan Großklaß (7bit: Grossklass)