<CT> Repentance...

  • From: "Pete Morris" <petemorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Calmira list" <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:54:32 -0000

It's great to be back.

I tried to 'improve' my old Toshiba 486/50 laptop by -

<heresy>replacing Win16 and its Calmira wrapper with Linux.</heresy>

I'm not 'religious', but if I were, I'd be begging someone for forgiveness
right now.

I was seduced by the thought of downloading a free 32-bit operating system
with a 25-year pedigree and a reputation for stability. These are the only
good points about Linux from a one-man-and-his-laptop position.

I had a little fun, I had enormous problems with printing and email, I saw
things which I'd like to see in Calmira (or any Windoze environment). The
X-windows system does things which are *amazing*, the huge virtual desktop
being the best. BUT - the setup for strange keyboards and non-US languages
is horrid. The application support is very, very thin compared to the
ubiquitous M$ system, and I feel the whole thing is only useful to narrow
commercial work and 'experimenters'.

Forgive me, Erwin, I repent of all my sins and have reinstalled Calmira...

Best regards,