<CT> Re: newbie with a problem

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:04:33 +0200

> From: "Zathras Zathras" <zathrasw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> newbie with a problem
> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:35:31 +0000

> Been doing a bit of 'retro-computing' lately :-) and came across Calmira so
> decided to put a copy of my old WfWg on my machine and have a play but i've
> run into a problem with, suprise, Internet Explorer.

> I have 3.03 installed and running fine, I also have 16-bit copies of 4, 5 &
> 5.01 but they all say that they require 4Meg of memory, I have 128
> installed.

That's an old, well-known problem. You can work around it by
a) setup.exe /f:16 or
b) the BIOS setup option "Memory hole at 15...16M".

> I'm running Qemm7 to manage my memory, anybody have any ideas how to give
> these apps the extra memory they need?

BTW: Can Windows use the whole memory? (Check Program Mangler's "Info"
box - it should show the free memory in the RAM plus the swapfile.)

> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:07:30 +0200
> From: Klaus.Osswald@xxxxxxxxxxx (Klaus Osswald)
> Subject: <CT> Re: newbie with a problem

> Zathras Zathras wrote:

> > Been doing a bit of 'retro-computing' lately :-)

> Sounds interesting, wozzit ?

Dealing with old computer stuff :).

> > it's driving me nuts.
>
> DON'T PANIC (!)

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"?

> From: "John" <spyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: newbie with a problem
> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:32:13 -0400

> This is a good idea to try, and there are some other hacks out there I
> believe to allow your system to use the full amount of memory, however I
> have IE 5 and NS 4 installed on my Win3 box, I always use NS 4 because I
> always run into things IE cant do and IE 5 is way way too slow in Win3.  Its
> not worth installing IE 5 on Win3 IMHO.

IMO IE still handles CSS best, but a combo of Netscape and Opera is
perfectly sufficient, too. (Opera being used for pages with nested
tables and similar stuff then.)

Just my EUR0.02.

BTW the parts of my poor old DX/2 are spread all over the room at the
moment - while swapping the case, I discovered that the CMOS battery
(such a 3.6 V NiMH thingy) was about to leak. Now I'll need a new one -
unfortunately the shipping costs twice that of the battery itself :(...

Stephan
--
Stephan Großklaß (7bit: Grossklass)
eMail: mailto:jgrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx | Webmaster: http://www.i24.com/