<CT> Re: new to calmira

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 15:33:42 -0600 (MDT)

On May 4, the keyboard of Lonnie Cumberland emitted this:

>Are there any other complers being used to compile Calmira?
>I am told that Delphi 6 will not work, but have found "Free PAscal"
>and "Virtual Pascal" as well and need to find a compiler that will
>work.

Hi, this I know the answer...

While Delphi is based on Pascal and has similarities in structure and
syntax, it is different enough that I don't think you can compile a
Delphi app in Pascal. While I suppose Calmira could be ported to Pascal,
it wouldn't be the same look and feel.

I know it's hard to find Delphi 1.0 on the market anymore, but it's the
only one that can compile Calmira. Now if you're determined, Borland
once told me that Delphi 1.0 was also bundled with Delphi 2 & 3, so
maybe you can find one of those CDs out there.

As to the idea of porting Calmira to another programming language on the
same platform (win16), I don't see a need, really, and would be very
reluctant to give my blessing to such a project.

What I would give my blessing to, is a port to Linux... I think that
with the right features, Calmira would make a wonderful window manager
for X-Windows. :)

Happy computing with Calmira! www.calmira.org
Brian L. Johnson,  owner/admin/webmaster, etc
Visit  YOUR  Calmira site  at www.calmira.org