<CT> Re: more about "Recycled Computers"

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 21:46:49 -0400

On Sat, 11 May 2002 11:23:22 -0500 (EST) ivanva@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Ivan Vavrecka)
wrote:

> ... and many tasks really don=B4t need the "extra
> power" that "market is pushing"

Yes, but some of the little proggies I want to use are available only
for the MS Win32 platform. Case in point: the  free state income tax
software provided by the State of New Jersey. It's not sophisticated.
It could have been written in COBOL for CP/M to run on a Z80. It
could have been written in C so it could be compiled for any platform
whatever. But no, it's designed with a GUI and distributed only as an
exe file, and if you don't have at least Windows 95 or Windows NT
4.0, you can't use it. So I run Windows NT, and Calmira is on my back
burner.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ