<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V6 #2

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:51:30 -0500

Just my 2 cents on the topic of networking with Win 3.1 vs. WfW
3.11:

I remember running Netscape in Win 3.1 with the aid of Trumpet
Winsock. It worked well, but I never tried to put the system in a
LAN. I wonder whether it would work if you used a hardware router to
create the network, and just tied the computer into the router the
way you would tie it directly to the Internet.

Currently I have a home LAN with mixed transport technologies, using
software bridges where necessary to hold it together. One of the
systems on the network is a 386 that dual-boots WfW 3.11 and WinNT
3.1. The system is usually offline, but it can join the network in
either OS.

When the system boots as WfW, it runs a NET START command in DOS,
before starting Windows. I haven't tried yet, but I wonder whether
you could use Microsoft's DOS networking capability with Windows
3.1.

--
                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ