<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V4 #1

  • From: GLENNRPH@xxxxxxx
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:47:02 EST

Hi Benjamin,
Hmm, only 8 meg RAM?  OK, that's what this computer is
running also, a Pentium 75...I use AOL3 for Win3X, and
I also use the Shiva Dialer from the MS IE3.03 installation,
which I put together a little package of in case other Win3X
users needed a dialer and winsock package.  For just a
standalone AIM, the 16 bit Win3X version works quite well
for me also, even on Win95!  Now, for MP3s, there is where
we will have problems...from discussions on this and other
lists, a lot of users have problems getting good quality
playback with less than 16 meg RAM...I don't have an MP3
player recommendation for Win3X at the moment...
Finally, to get "True color" or "Hi Color" options on Win3X,
your video card must support that number...I would say
if you have at least 1 meg video memory, try "Hi Color",
that's the 65000 or so colors, with 2 meg or more video
memory you can try "true" or 24 bit colors.  For myself,
I still prefer 256 color, as it appears to be a bit faster,
especially when browsing the web.  Oh, that reminds me,
for a web browser for Win3X and only 8 meg RAM, you
really have only one option...go with Opera 3.62.  I have
used MS IE3.03 in the past, but it is slower, and also
does not handle the newer versions of JavaScript.  Opera
3.62 does a better job and is faster, though there are
still problem sites, such as Hotmail...works if you turn
auto-download of images off.  Finally, for email, I still
recommend using FoxMail 16.  I think that should get
you going quite nicely.  Now, for FTP client, I still use
WS_FTP LE, free for personal use.  I also have another
16 bit FTP client for Win3X, called WinFTP, but it is
not quite as "polished" as WS_FTP LE.  Where can
you find all these goodies?  Check my websites for
links:
http://members.aol.com/glennrph/glennrph.htm
http://members.aol.com/Wizard57M/wizard1.htm
http://members.surfbest.net/wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx/index.html

See you later!
Glenn
GLENNRPH@xxxxxxx

<<
 From: BEN09880@xxxxxxx
 Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:25:36 EST
 Subject: <CT> Software solution request

 Hello everyone!  I'm using the 'new' aol 8.0 software, so I apologize for
any
 html tag b.s.  Does anyone know where the option is to turn that off?  I
 can't find it...

 Anyways, my real questions...  I have a Pentium 90 laptop with only 8 megs
 ram.  I know I asked before the same question, but I have since lost a few
 hard drives.

 I want mp3 playback.  I need internet access (aol3.0 can do that for me),
and
 I need a web browser.  FTP would be nice, as would an AIM client.  An Office
 compatable suite would rock.  Video playback would be nice (where to get the
 files though is another question), I already know how to 'tweak' this little
 beast to be the best it can be.  I just can't locate software, nor can i
 locate information on software.

 I have installed Win95 on this before, it runs... I guess.  Mp3 playback on
 Win95 is nearly perfect (as perfect as Winamp2 is).  The video playback
under
 Win95 can be tweaked to bearable standards, fullscreen only of course.

 The hard drive is 2 gigs, and it has sound, and 800x600 16bit color max
 resolution.  I have no idea what video driver to use, but I can figure that
 out on my own (I hope!).  Is 16bit color easy to accomplish under Win3?

 THanks in advance for any tips, info, links, files!

 Benjamin Rossington >>