<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V3 #84

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:31:37 +0200 (CEST)

> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:36:30 +0200
> From: Klaus.Osswald@xxxxxxxxxxx (Klaus
> =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen?= Osswald)
> Subject: <CT> Re: Screen res

> "Brian L. Johnson" wrote:

> > On Jun 11, the keyboard of Alan Grimes emitted this:

> > >I am using the internet from my simple and plesant 486
> through a lan
> > >running to my evil and demented Athlon running
> leenooks. THE LINUX
> > >MACHINE CAN'T EVEN KEEP THE CORRECT TIME OF DAY!!!! I
> have to reset it
> > >every day and it takes several attempts to get the
> correct time to
> > >"stick".

> > That sounds like a hardware problem.. Linux is subject
> to the
> > limitations of the hardware upon which it runs, and I
> bet that
> > computer wouldn't keep any better time under DOS
> either. :)

> Correct. I had this similiar problem due to nonY2K
> fashioned BIOS.
> This helped:

My method:
Use the NIST time client thingy (sorry, no link, but it's in my
bookmarks at my homepage), configure it to poll the time every few
hours and run in background, and put it into the startup group. Ah yes,
one has to update the server list prior to that. This utility has
served me well on WfW 3.11, Win95, NT and 2000 (16 and 32 bit versions,
respectively). The 32 bit one can also do NTP. (Works with Win32s, but
reading the time zone doesn't seem to work, maybe one would have to
create some registry keys.)

Stephan