<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V3 #71

  • From: Norm Finch <NormF@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 01:48:10 -0500

Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> Although InterCruise HL is an ambitious project, ...

I've been watching this thread with bemused interest these last several
days.  "Ambitious"?--I hope to shout.  However, there's an elephant in
the house and we've been dancing around him so far as if he wasn't here.
So let's talk about this elephant a little bit.

Anonymity, one of the characteristics of the Net, is an interesting
phenomenon.  It allows megalithic corporations to appear warm and
personal in a one-to-one way if they wish to, and private individuals to
look like General Motors if they write well and put up a good front.

The real point of Glenn's comment was a polite way of saying, "Yeah,
right."  But let's take that a little further.  First of all, I should
note that very few of us around here bubble over with warm fuzzies for
Uncle Billy.  Anything, whether it's the Justice Dept., Novell/Caldera,
Netscape, Sun, Linux, BeOS, or whoever or whatever, that could rein him
in and at least level the playing field would please most of us no end.
We'd like even better to see a David come along and take the guy down.
But it ain't likely, as Glenn noted.  Let's face it, even a matching,
fullsize Goliath would probably have a tough go of it against him.

Lonnie, you sound like a well-meaning guy, and we all like your kind
words about Calmira, but the real question is, "You and who else?"  Who
are your programmers and how many battalions of them are there?  And
who's bankrolling you, and how big a roll is it?  BG by himself has the
deepest pockets on the planet.  How many Warren Buffet's are financing
you?  Answer those, and still you're not really started yet.  Unless I
missed something in the exchanges to this point, what I hear from you
sounds like a bit of megalomania.  Do you realize how long a row you'd
have to hoe to get this done, even if you did have limitless resources?
I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that there's simply no
way a one-man effort could pull this off.  And the likelihood of
marshalling an unpaid army to do it is just as close to nil, if not
closer.

Maybe you'll be the one, I don't know.  My insight your way stops at the
monitor screen here in front of me.  Maybe you, singular, is actually
you, plural.  Maybe you're seated on bags of gold in your vault as you
type your messages to us.  Maybe.  Maybe.  But something in me keeps
saying, "Nah, no way ..."  Sorry.

Still, I do wish you well,
Norm Finch
--
  "The chief virtue that language can have is clearness." - Hippocrates
                 -- Peace.  Write well.  Do good work. --