<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V3 #171

  • From: Erwin Dokter <e.dokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:55:05 +0100

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> Calmira would make a nice shell for NT 3.51 *if* it'd be possible to get
> hold of NT's long file names somehow. I imagine one would have to write
> some 16-to-32-bit interface DLL for that (and possibly do a Windows
> version check on startup), not the easiest task but hopefully not
> impossible. (At least that's more realistic than Calmira being ported to

Maybe, just maybe, there will be a 32-bit version of Calmira; I
installed NT 3.51 and Delphi 2 on my P133. NT runs quite well on 32 MB.
A pleasent suprise is that it supports all windows 95 (read win32
controls) controls.

One problem I face is Delphi under NT 3.51; It seems the video driver
for my SiS 6326 is buggy enough that Delphi won't run; the driver
doesn't handle the ImageList control properly. Delphi has had problems
with that all along, but only on S3 cards. I am now looking for yet
another 4 MB PCI card that will support Win 3.1 and NT 3.51 flawlesly.

> Win32 - Delphi never was an NT 3.5x thing.) As of now, Calmira works in
> NT 3.51, even if a tad slow.

Glad you got it running. Calmira managed to crash the kernel on my
end... just open the Control Panal menu. Other then that, it runs fine,
albeit without some features like Desktop menu and apps not appearing on
the taskbar. As for slow, the only showstopper is drawing shrinked icons
in high quality, so I turned that off. I must say that NT 4's 16-bit VM
is far superiour to 3.51's.

As for the 32-bit Calmira, it may come, but I need this video bug fixed
(new card) and then examine the code, as there is a lot of specific
16-bit hacks that need to be ported to win32.

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:e.dokter@xxxxxxx