<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V2 #88

  • From: GLENNRPH@xxxxxxx
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:23:48 EDT

RE:  Spell Check for Edit Boxes

Hi List!

I've ran Quinion's Spell Check for Edit boxes for several years, the only
problem I have encountered is the "disappearing Calmira icon" bug I've
mentioned.  On my home PC I built, a 486DX4 100mHz, when running MS DOS 6.22
and Win311, and Cirrus Logic video w/2meg DRAM, I never had any problems.
But, here at work and now at my lady's home, each only has 1 meg video
memory, I had the disappearing icon problem.  Note that this ONLY occurs if
Calmira is the "shell", so my workaround was to use something small as a
shell, and launch Calmira from "Startup" or from a "run" line in WIN.INI.  I
used ToolBar 2.11 by Agullira (spelling?) at work, a Pentium 75 w/8meg RAM,
MS DOS 5, Win31, 1 meg video mem S3 Trio 64.  Spell Check works absolutely
great.  No problems there, just with icons disappearing, in my case either
the Tray area of Taskbar or Recycle Bin.  I still don't know what is causing
this, but at least I finally figured out which app it was.  Another spelling
checker I use is a DOS program, called GDSpell, which is available from Rich
Green's DOS Software site at http://www.geocities.com/RLCGreen/softlib1.htm
(I think).  It uses the same spelling engine as the text editor NE.  However,
you cannot spell check a Windows edit box, unless you save the file as some
sort of document.  It runs well in a DOS Window however.

My advice is to try Quinion's Spell Check, if you notice either your Recycle
bin icon or Tray icons disappearing, then you can either run Calmira as
separate app and use something else as shell, or live with it, hehe, which I
have done also.  A double click on the affected area somehow changes the
focus and the icons re-appear for that area...interested parties for Spell
Check or GDSpell just drop me a line!

See all of ya later!
Glenn