<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V2 #137

  • From: "Pete Morris" <petemorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:35:11 +0100

No 'bad ', Glenn.

We all know lots of folk on the net, and confusion is guaranteed - I know
more people in Bangalore, India than my own town of Worthing, England; yet
I've never been to India...

With respect to both the LFN situation and Perl, I intend to write a script
to convert a folderful of 8.3 filenames with attendant 4DOS descript.ion
file into LFNs at the Win9X end of my little world. It'll take the
description, and append the 8.3 name, giving a LFN with all the info and
extension in place. Perl 4 runs like a dream on Win3.X, but lacks a few of
the trendy features of Perl 5, such as extended error checking and
object-oriented guff. You need a full 32-bit OS for that, preferably UNIX,
but most of it works on Win32.

If/when I get the script running and hardened, I'll offer it as open source
on my BTInternet site, with links to the Perl stuff the uninitiated will
require to run it. It might make a usable stopgap until Erwin gets Calmira
II up to speed with LFNs.

Best regards, Pete.
Pete Morris   -    +44(0)7887 963788
www.holmdown.btinternet.co.uk/pete.htm