<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V2 #137

  • From: GLENNRPH@xxxxxxx
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:29:41 EDT

Hiya Pete!

Hmm, I may have gotten you mixed up with another Pete that I'm familiar with
from Pennsylvania.  If so, then it's "my bad", but Welcome anyhow!  His
online screen name is usually "Geminga", and he is on my Arachne mailing
list, and posts quite often at the Arachne message board site at
http://chat.arachne.cz...

As for the LFN capable version of Calmira II, rumor has it that Erwin is
working on it even as we type these messages!  And yes, it would be quite
handy to those of us with both Win3X and Win9X systems.  I try to avoid LFNs
when possible, but as anyone who has downloaded MIDI songs can attest to,
most of the newer ones are LFN.  I've toyed with the idea of trying the LFN
Tools on a Win3X machine just to see what they would do.  But, I suspect it
wouldn't work properly because there isn't any API for LFNs in Win3X.  The
LFN Tools work great in DOS 7.0 from Win95, as they utilize the APIs.  There
is a download link for them on Rich Green's DOS Freeware site, address is
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1401/softlib1.htm

As for PERL, I haven't tried it under Win3X, so not sure if it would run or
not.  I've read that PERL scripts on web sites run well with 16 bit browsers
such as NetScape and MS IE, and have seen them run in Arachne for DOS.  There
is some "scripting" capability in Calmira II, somewhere in the Help file or
README is a good explanation.

Well, that's about all for now...I'll C U L8R!
GLENNRPH
Glenn Gilbreath, Jr.