<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V2 #101

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 09:10:53 -0400
On 19 May 2001, at 21:00, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:

> From: Michelle Konzack

> 10)     Multitasking ???   Try DR-Dos 7.03 or the free version OpenDos
> 7.01

Multitasking can be done in MS-DOS with a little help. DoubleDos (mid
to late '80s) split the 640K into two smaller regions with an app
going in each. I remember running a modem in one region to download a
file from a BBS, and in the other region using LIST to examine a
previously downloaded file and at the same time running PRINT in the
background to print yet another file. DESQview 386 can do even more
and do it better.

> >... What are you typing this e-mail in? Not DOS...

My wife receives and types email in DOS - but without multitasking.

But I think we already decided to move to Linux - if we could ever
get it installed :-(

By the way, my complaint about the cost of hardware could be
misunderstood. I was concerned about the cost of Linux-compatible
peripherals, like 56K realmodems. But I guess we have come to the
point where a used 486 can be bought cheaply enough to offset the
cost of the peripherals.

And then there was:

> Joshua
> If you're in a vehicle going the speed of light, what happens when you
> turn on the headlights?

Albert Einstein answered that almost a century ago in the theory of
relativity. Every observer sees the universe as though he/she were
standing still. You don't feel your speed, do you? You can reach out
and turn on your CD-player (but not your radio) and hear it playing.
So you are not going the speed of light, you are motionless and the
rest of the universe is whizzing past you at the speed of light. You
turn on the headlights and you can see better in front of you, but
the trouble is, by the time you see something coming, it's already
passing you. However, your backup lights won't help you see behind
you, because your light can't catch up with the stuff that's receding
from you at light-speed. Anyway, as a consequence of the same theory,
you can never quite attain the speed of light; only light can go at
light-speed.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ
http://www.netlabs.net/hp/marty/