<CT> Re: Windes 2000 & LFNs

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:37:17 -0500

I just put some Windes 2000 screenshots, prefaced by some discussion,
on http://www.netlabs.net/hp/marty/windes2k.

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:29:38 -0500, "MOY, WILLIAM"
<BMOY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marty, how large is the Windes 2000 application? ...

The whole installation package consists of a 192K self-extracting zip
file. The content of the working directory (including subdirectories)
is less than 1MB (though it takes up a lot more on my system because
of the many small files).

> .. There is a small screenshot of WindesME on their website....

Of course it's small. If it were larger, you could see how crude it
is. You can still see that it's all done with a few flat colors.

> ... It looks like a desktop, I never imagined that BASIC could
> produce such output display, icons folders, taskbar, wallpaper and
> Explorer!!

Even GW-BASIC has graphics capabilities. Look at the DRAW statement
and the related COLOR, PALETTE, and SCREEN statements.

By the way, some (but not all) of the Windes 2000 files with windows-
like extensions (such as .OCX and .DLL) contain BASIC code, and
LOADDLL.EXE is a BASIC interpreter.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ