<CT> Re: Win98 & Win3.1x - dual bootable?

  • From: Billy Wong <bhs1989@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:27:24 -0500

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:52:56 -0600 Greg Fundyler <gyf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Upgrading from Win95a to Win98? Are you sure? I would call that
> downgrading it, but sure... :)

   I didn't have any choice BUT to go to Win98;  the IBM 300GL had such
"new" hardware (like its video chipset, sound card, MMX technology, and
its onboard USB ports to name just a few) that Win95a didn't even
RECOGNIZE them.  Win98 did.  There's nothing I can do about that and I'm
not complaining.
  My now-ex-workhorse IBM PS/2 586 had two IDE hard drives.  About 48
hours ago, I pulled the "master" drive, a 3.2GB drive with all Win9x data
on it including Juno, and put it into the 300GL.  Did the Win98 upgrade
on it and the appropriate configurations.  This message is now being sent
through my "new" machine without trouble (more or less).
   As for Win3.1 and dual booting, I haven't done that yet and am MORE
than anxious to...  The current problem I have right now is to try and
fit the second IDE hard drive (a 2.5GB model which has Win3.1 and all
16-bit apps on it), into the 300GL.  According to the PC's technical
manual, I have to find a drive conversion kit that can put a 3.5" drive
into the vacant 5.25" bay.  But that's only the START of my problems.
(Fitting in an IDE cable through the crowded "rats nest" of other drive
cables on the motherboard is the primary one.)
   And yes, Greg, with a Pentium 200MHz MMX, Win3.1 will definitely go
lightning fast once I get it running.  :-)

   ___Billy Wong___
   BHS1989@xxxxxxxx
   http://www.geocities.com/billythekid1602445