<CT> Re: Win98 & Win3.1x - dual bootable?

  • From: Greg Fundyler <gyf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:52:56 -0600

Billy Wong wrote:

>    I looked all over the Web and had mixed answers about whether or not
> Win98 can be dual-booted like Win95a (of course @ bootup time by pressing
> F4 just to get to DOS/Win3.1x).
>    The reason I am asking is because this past week I just obtained an
> IBM 300GL (Pentium 200MHz MMX) PC and plan to upgrade to Win98, and
> (hopefully) still retain my option to go back to Win3.11 whenever I need
> to.  Its no secret that Win95b (aka OSR2) can't dual-boot without
> third-party software help, which is not what I want to do.
>    Does anybody on the list have a more concrete answer (like you are
> actually using Win98 and Win3.1 on the same PC)?

Upgrading from Win95a to Win98? Are you sure? I would call that
downgrading it, but sure... :)
The best way to dual-boot is to split your windows 98 partition. Then
you will have a D: which contains DOS6.22, Win3.1, etc. on standard
FAT16. And with the right tools, you can hide and unhide the partitions
to keep problems to a minimum. And using FAT16, you can use Windows in
enhanced mode with 32-bit file access and 32-bit disk access, without
needing to patch io.sys or anything else. With the right config, Windows
3.1 will scream on that system. <g>

HTH
- Greg