<CT> Re: V1#36 - Re: News for Opera users!

  • From: Pete <firststep@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:04:05 +0000

>Subject: <CT> Re: News for Opera users!

>>Good News: Opera is no longer shareware! =20

>The bad news is worse than you describe; the banner-adware setup comes =
via=20
>the Cydoor system, implicated in several spyware programs (nothing gets=20
>alt.comp.freeware going more than a whiff of spyware...). These programs=
=20
>allegedly don't just phone home, but are capable of passing=20
>demographic/system/site-visiting details, etc, to commercial sites -=20
>something the developers always deny, however.

I like the caution - "implicated" & "allegedly" :o) I doubt these
companies would even attempt to challenge anyone who gave a more
definitive answer.

>We'll see what happens. Opera's claim is that the adware is removed in=20
>registered versions.

I only seem to remember the advert.dll based system for 16bit adware
progs. Were there more?

=46or 32bit Adware detection at least:

       Ad-aware - http://www.lavasoft.de
      OptOut - http://grc.com/optout.htm

OptOut is Steve Gibson's program and his web site is interesting to
read if only for his trials and tribulations.

I seem to remember that half of this Adware software does not even
remove the engine or tidy up the registry even after its host is
deinstalled so I doubt very much that 'registering' will do anything
of the kind.

Its also pretty well proven these days that the adware companies lie
about the type of data that is being returned.

It maybe that Steve Gibson has now changed his OptOut software as
ironically the version I have promotes Opera as an alternate
browser... it will look a bit odd promoting adware when his program
obviously allows you to get rid of it.:o))

I think the term 'spyware' is far more honest.

Pete