<CT> Re: Trip down memory lane...

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 19:46:58 +0100

> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 18:31:10 -0700 (MST)
> From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Trip down memory lane...

> Especially since this comp is an AMD 486/100 running at the equivalent
> of 220mhz, so Win31 is pretty zippy on this thing! :)

Even if AMD 386s are a bit faster that their Intel counterparts, you
shouldn't believe everything benchmark programs tell you. But anyway
tuning old 'puters is fun - recently I installed my trusty old Mitsumi
4X ATAPI CD-ROM (which had been gathering dust in its box) in the 486-50
I mentioned a few days ago. Fortunately the hard disk is a Seagate (260
MB ST3290A, PIO0 only!), so finding out the jumper settings was easy. At
this opportunity I could use the 1.0m IDE cable I had lying around here
- the installed one had just one connector, and you can't use those long
cables anyway with today's faster transfer modes. Some files on a CD-ROM
couldn't be found in the beginning, but a newer version of MSCDEX - 2.23
instead of 2.22 - solved the problem. Now the only thing that's missing
is a sound card - another computer geek at school has one (I think it's
the model I used to have in my old 386SX - the Aztech Sound Galaxy NX
Pro 16) he promised to bring with him. Hopefully we'll be able ro
install it next week. BTW: Does anyone happen to know a (good) VL
graphics card that runs with 50 MHz? (ET4000/W32/W32i/W32p perhaps?) It
seems the board has VL slots, but due to the high bus clock, they're
unused.

Stephan
--
Stephan Großklaß (7bit: Grossklass)