<CT> Re: Tip: Crank it down! / Re: NT 3.51 and the shell

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:02:51 +0100

> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:15:57 +0100 (CET)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Manuel=20Garcia=20Rodriguez?=
> <manueluniversidad@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: Tip: Crank it down!

> > --- Alan Grimes <alangrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
> > With dos windows, select the settings for that
> > particular window to
> > enable full preemptive multitasking for that dos
> > box. =)
>
> Mmmh. But Windows 3.11 has cooperative multitask,
> hasn´t it?

Among Windows apps, that's true - they all run in one VM. However, DOS
sessions run in their own VMs, and unless background apps are not to get
any computing time they'll always get some computing time even if the
Windows VM is completely frozen. BTW the multitasking settings in the
386 Enhanced applet relate to the computing time distriburion beetwen
various VMs only. The minimum time slice can be set considerably lower
than the standard of 20 ms on most machines - it's the standard value
for a 386SX-16! So even a Pentium 75 or 90 should be fast enough for 1
ms.

> From: "Rich Dennis" <akai11@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: NT 3.51 and the shell
> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:06:46 -0500

> I installed NT 3.5;then Cal3.25. No problems...except....no right click
> mouse functionality.
> Anyone have any ideas what mistake I might have made?

None, AFAICS. It's exactly the same here. I guess it's because the
16-bit subsystem runs in another VM than the rest of Windows, but OTOH
Instant File Access will not work correctly even when all 16-bit apps
are executed within one VM. Perhaps the (rather low-level?) monitoring
functions used by both programs simply fail in NT. Still, the emulation
is quite good - I can even run FTaskman and hide/unhide windows, end
tasks etc. (killing them should not be necessary since Windows notices
it when one app won't respond to a closing command).

BTW: I finally solved a Paint Shop Pro 3.12-32 mystery: I always
wondered why the image information dialog you can get on the "Open"
dialog would not show the correct dates on PNG images - turns out that
this only happens with images PSP has saved, not with XNView's.
I've also added a section on NT 3.51 compatibility on my Win32s
compatibility list page (still lacking Opera 3.62 and 4.01).

Stephan
--
Home: http://jgrossklass.bei.t-online.de/

To SMP or not to SMP - no question in this case:
P100@90+P75@90, 48 MB, 540 MB, ELSA WINNER 2000AVI; Win NT 3.51