<CT> Re: Support for network shares planned?

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:56:42 +0100

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> is support for network shares planned in future versions of Calmira?
> What I mean is the following: If a folder X is shared on machine COMP,
> it would certainly be nice if this could be accessed via \\COMP\X...

Hi Stephan,

Alas, Windows 3.1x does not support UNC names, so this is not an option,
unfortunately.

> In the explorer tree there could be
> a "network" item with the computers and shared folders underneath
> (something like Win32's "Network Neighborhood", but without printer
> shares) - that is, if it isn't too much work.

I don't know how much work that would be, pretty much I think. I'll have
a look into it. I'd have to work network-driver level though...

> BTW: Why is the next version supposed to be 4.0, anyway? Wouldn't 3.5
> suffice?

3.0 came out over two years ago; time for an upgrade :) Besides, have a
look at the current wishlist:

- Run program in DOS session from menu or shortcut
- Support macro's in shortcuts
- Undo function in icon windows/explorer
- Refine tree update
- Recent Documents menu
- 'Send To' menu
- Format floppy disk
- Network Neighborhood (tnx for the suggestion!)
- Drag items from Start Menu properties dialog to
  icon windows or desktop.
- New File Browse dialog
- Load user cursors (.cur) files
- LFN support

> Notes on 3.2 beta (am about to update to 3.2 on this box): File system
> notification seems to work among Windows apps with VShare loaded, but
> not for DOS apps.

Do you have FileSysChange=1 under [386Enh] in system.ini?

> The "open folder" and "run" dialog seem to use
> separate history lists now - great!

Correct :)

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx