<CT> Re: Seeking printer driver

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:11:53 -0500

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:32:37 -0500, I wrote that I had a laptop running WfW
3.11 (with Calmira), networked with my desktop systems, with a LaserJet II
driver (supporting up to 300 dpi) driving a Brother HL-1440 laser printer
connected to one of the desktops, and was looking for a PCL-4 printer driver
that ran in Win 3.x and supported 600 dpi to use with that printer. (There!
now there won't be any complaints about too much quoted matter.) I found a
PCL driver for the Brother HL-1060 and installed it in the laptop. But it's
not that simple. Apparently PCL-4 is not a universal language. At 300 dpi I
get the same results from that driver as from the LaserJet II driver. But at
600 dpi the results depend on what program I'm printing from. Printing from
notepad, the left margin is negative if I set the margin at 0.99 inch in
notepad, and excessive if I set it at 1.00 inch or more. Printing from
PagePlus 3.0 (which is what I wanted the driver for) the margins are the
sameas with the LaserJet driver. So I still use the LaserJet driver as the
"default printer," and change to the HL-1060 driver when I want higher
resolution in PagePlus. (I hate talking to myself. Thanks to anyone who's
interested, and my apologies to anyone who is not.) --
&#160;&#160;&#160;&#160;Marty Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ