<CT> Re: Screenshots and 404s

  • From: Gaby.Chaudry@xxxxxxxxxxx (Gaby Chaudry)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:42:56 +0200

Hi!

> mirrors. I could do this if I had some way to view a list of files and
> directories on the site.  Would read-only anonomous FTP access
to the
> site's root be a possibility, or a read-only backup account?

Well, unfortunately I can't offer neither the one nor the other. All ftp
users I can install, automatically have rwx rights. Anonymous ftp is
only possible for the ftp site itself.

What I can offer for those who want to run a mirror: I can install an
regular ftp account for you, but have to ask you to use it only for
downloading. I'd suggest that those who are willing to mirror the site,
should contact me directly for further details.

> So, will someone let the list know once all the files are back in place
> on calmira.de so I can start a mirror?

I'm afraid that we'll never get back all the missing files.... Anyway, I
will of course leave a note to the list when we're at least somewhat
complete.

I'm planning to have a look at the interactive pages this weekend. To
have a better basis to reinstall them: who is willing to care about
which section, e.g. suggestions, feedback, support, etc. ?
I can then install simple e-mail forwards.

I will also check all external links.

> are we going to do this how a lot of Linux distros/proggies organise
> they're files?
> into versions of the product in subfolders?
>
>  /pub/calmira/3.25
>  /pub/calmira/3.12

I'd prefer language-specific subfolders, e.g.

/pub/calmira/english/
/pub/calmira/german/

> and have a:
>  /pub/calmira/latest
> of which is a symlink to the lastest build of calmira?

As for me (i.e. for calmira.de) symbolic links aren't possible. If it was
my server, no problem, but it's just rented webspace with different
rules...

Well, as for anonymous ftp: ftp.calmira.de exists and is just the
same as ftp.gaby.de. I can easily install a calmira folder on it, but of
course first we have to be sure how we want to structure it (see
above).

> Speaking of files, is there any interest in having older versions of
> Calmira on the site? If anyone wants these files, I have'em where
should
> I send them? (3.1, 3.11, 3.12, 3.25)

IMHO the ftp server would be exactly the right place to put them.
If you like upload them to the incoming directory. But please drop me
a line when you've done so.

Bye, Gaby

---
/usr/bin ergo sum