<CT> Re: Screen res

  • From: Klaus.Osswald@xxxxxxxxxxx (Klaus Jürgen Osswald)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:36:30 +0200

"Brian L. Johnson" wrote:

> On Jun 11, the keyboard of Alan Grimes emitted this:
>
> >I am using the internet from my simple and plesant 486 through a lan
> >running to my evil and demented Athlon running leenooks. THE LINUX
> >MACHINE CAN'T EVEN KEEP THE CORRECT TIME OF DAY!!!! I have to reset it
> >every day and it takes several attempts to get the correct time to
> >"stick".
>
> That sounds like a hardware problem.. Linux is subject to the
> limitations of the hardware upon which it runs, and I bet that
> computer wouldn't keep any better time under DOS either. :)

Correct. I had this similiar problem due to nonY2K fashioned BIOS.
This helped:

- Set system clock to actual date & time, using 'timetool' or the
'clock',e.g 'hwclock' command.
- Do a

        hwclock --adjust

at the shell prompt. this could already help in your case, because it
creates an 'adjust' file which
does a regular system clock update for you by evaluating time differences
in the system.

Then, if after reboot, it still doesn't keep time/date, put these lines
into the file /etc/rc.local

        hwclock --hctosys --badyear
        hwclock --systohc --badyear
        hwclock --systohc --localtime

Reboot the machine & see it keeping time ok then.