<CT> Re: Running WIN3X & XT on the same machine

  • From: Clive Wright <clive_wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:25:04 +0100

changa mwene wrote:

>Win3x will run off of D: with no problems, but there must be a boot
>loader in the
>MBR (master boot record) of C: that selects which OS to run.  WinXP has
>its own
>boot loader and I have had no luck configuring it.

<snip>

I run winlite (cutdown version of 3.1) under dos 6.22 & a few other
o.s.s' as well using XP to multiboot. There are some knowledge base
articles about it on the MS website but I have found a programme called
bootpart very useful.
Check out the following URL.

http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

Some of its options only run under pure dos, so if you don't have a
multiboot setup already a dos boot disk is essential.

The boot.ini file is only part of the story but the following is a copy
of mine. It may help.

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=C:\bootsect.lux
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /noguiboot
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional"
C:\bootsect.lux="Mandrake Linux"
c:\="MS-DOS v6.22 /Winlite" /win95dos
c:\bootsect.w40="Windows 95/98" /win95
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
C:\BOOTPART\bootsect.flp="Floppy Disk in A: drive"