<CT> Re: Redirectors and Auto-Complete

  • From: Glenn Gilbreath Jr. <wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:11:58 CST

Hello William,

There are a number of free and paid redirection services such
as TinyURL...some are quite handy indeed!
As for the auto-complete feature of MS Internet Explorer, almost
all modern browsers have some of this ability...even the text
mode Lynx 386 for DOS.  In Opera, the user can even define which
types of domains to use in the autocomplete.  For myself, I don't
use the autocomplete feature often, and normally have it turned
off, especially with IE...guess I'm a "control freak", hehe!
I'm fairly sure that the redirection services would be prohibitively
expensive for a user group such as Calmira_Tips to implement, since
it is handled via WWW servers.

C U L8R!
Wiz  <{;-)
(signature below)

  >                 <CT> Tips: TinyURL, Dictionary/Thesaurus, IE<Ctrl-Enter>

  > Subject: <CT> Tips: TinyURL, Dictionary/Thesaurus, IE<Ctrl-Enter>
  > Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:54:50 -0400
  > From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  >
  > Hello All,
  >
  > I wasn't aware of this type of a website existed that solves length =
  > problems of some URLs, so I thought I would pass this info to the list:  =
  > http://tinyurl.com/
  >
  > Also, another website I find indispensable is www.dictionary.com, which =
  > actually changes to http://dictionary.reference.com/
  >
  > Through this site, there is a free email service to learn a new word =
  > everyday.
  >

  > Last, if you use Internet Explorer, you can type only the main part of a =
  > URL and if you enter it with <Ctrl>-<Enter>, Internet Explorer completes =
  > the address by adding a default URL prefix and suffix ("http://www."; and =
  > ".com").
  >
  > Question:  Does anybody know if there is a way of duplicating what =
  > www.tinyurl does through our own efforts?  For example, can we embed a =
  > lengthily link into a shortcut or alias and then send the visually =
  > simpler condensed url as an object in an email?  --Bill

Wiz  <{;-)
Wizard57M
Glenn Gilbreath Jr.
http://members.surfbest.net/wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx/index.htm
-- DOS Internet, Close Windows and Keep the Internet Open! --