<CT> Re: News for Opera users!

  • From: David Burgess <d.burgess@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:12:01 +0000

At 01:33 14/12/00 -0500, you wrote:

<snip>

>Good News: Opera is no longer shareware!  The bad news is....  Now Opera is
>Banner-Adware.  The Win9x version supports newer technology, even comes with
>an instant messaging client based on ICQ.  The windows 3.1 version is still
>shareware, however I get the impression that it may become ad-ware soon.

Yes; this has been a hot topic in alt.comp.freeware for the last week or
so. The 32-bit version is available, and rumour has it that a new 16-bit
version will be out early next year.

The bad news is worse than you describe; the banner-adware setup comes via
the Cydoor system, implicated in several spyware programs (nothing gets
alt.comp.freeware going more than a whiff of spyware...). These programs
allegedly don't just phone home, but are capable of passing
demographic/system/site-visiting details, etc, to commercial sites -
something the developers always deny, however.

We'll see what happens. Opera's claim is that the adware is removed in
registered versions.