<CT> Re: Ms Office 4.3 Professional

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:50:09 -0400

As far as I can tell, the MS Office 4.3 installer is not to be blamed
for trashing my hard drive.

But here's a different warning: Windows 95 and up can safely use a
drive bigger than about 8GB without a disk manager, but DOS can't.

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:54:45 -0400, I wrote:
> > ... What happens when a program (in DOS 5.0)
> > tries to write past the 8GB boundary?

And on Sun, 22 Sep 2002 09:30:55 +0200, JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx
(Stephan Grossklass) responded:

> I'd assume a wraparound.

I can't prove it, but I think that's what happened. I had assumed
that if DOS can see a drive, it's OK to write in it. Apparently, not
so. Any program in DOS (or 16-bit Windows in DOS), trying to write on
a logical drive spanning the 8GB boundary, can write to sectors at
the beginning of the physical drive.

For instance, I booted from a DOS floppy and did a DU of the
directory where I had partially installed MS Office, writing the
output to a file on the same drive. In DOS, the output file looked
OK. In Windows NT, the same file looked like a piece of a directory
(raw, not formatted like the output of DIR). And the output of DU
(which lists directories and subdirectories and their sizes) was not
the same in DOS as in WIN NT.

I don't understand everything I saw, but it was clear that DOS and
Windows NT, supposedly looking at the same file, were not seeing the
same data. And it's DOS that sees it wrong.

Incidentally, I was mistaken about the strange messages I saw when I
tried to install MS Office in Windows NT. I tried again, and the
messages, all the same, had window title "Setup Message" and said:

   Setup has encountered a problem.

   Please report File='.\misccm.c', Line='447' to
   Microsoft Product Support Services.

Evidently they were from Microsoft, not from a hacker, but they were
from the setup program, not from the operating system.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ