<CT> Re: Ms Office 4.3 Professional

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 09:30:55 +0200

> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:54:45 -0400
> From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: Ms Office 4.3 Professional

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:20:58 -0700, "Reid" <reids@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I've installed Office 4.xx quite happily from a directory on my hard
> > drive. I did the "disk1, disk2, disk3..." subdirectory thing.  That
> > was in WfW 3.11 on MS-Dos 6.22.

> OK, I just did that too, on MS-DOS 5.0, WFW 3.11, and Calmira, with
> CleanSweep monitoring the installation. Just what I did when my drive
> got trashed, except on a 6.4GB drive instead of a 20GB drive.

> So here's what I'm wondering about. On the 20GB drive, DOS can't see
> any drives that start beyond a boundary at about 8GB. That leaves
> only drives C:, D:, and E: accessible.  F: and beyond start past the
> 8GB boundary.

And you are not using any disk manager? (Obviously not if you have NT
4.0 on the same machine, IIRC it doesn't like those much. BTW there have
been things like Winword 6.0 and Excel 5.0 "for Windows NT", I'm still
looking for those.)

> I was installing in drive E:, which starts within that boundary and
> extends beyond it. What happens when a program (in DOS 5.0) tries to
> write past the 8GB boundary?

I'd assume a wraparound.

> Does it go on up the disk, creating
> files as one would expect it to, or does it wrap around to the
> beginning of the disk, messing up the master boot record, the boot
> sector of the first primary partition, the FAT of the first
> partition, the root directory, etc., etc., etc.?

Yes, this can well happen. That would explain why the first partition
was trashed.

Stephan
--
Stephan's "Mobile Computing Center"...