<CT> Re: Ms Office 4.3 Professional

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:54:45 -0400

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:20:58 -0700, "Reid" <reids@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've installed Office 4.xx quite happily from a directory on my hard
> drive. I did the "disk1, disk2, disk3..." subdirectory thing.  That
> was in WfW 3.11 on MS-Dos 6.22.

OK, I just did that too, on MS-DOS 5.0, WFW 3.11, and Calmira, with
CleanSweep monitoring the installation. Just what I did when my drive
got trashed, except on a 6.4GB drive instead of a 20GB drive.

So here's what I'm wondering about. On the 20GB drive, DOS can't see
any drives that start beyond a boundary at about 8GB. That leaves
only drives C:, D:, and E: accessible.  F: and beyond start past the
8GB boundary.

I was installing in drive E:, which starts within that boundary and
extends beyond it. What happens when a program (in DOS 5.0) tries to
write past the 8GB boundary? Does it go on up the disk, creating
files as one would expect it to, or does it wrap around to the
beginning of the disk, messing up the master boot record, the boot
sector of the first primary partition, the FAT of the first
partition, the root directory, etc., etc., etc.?

My drive might have been trashed, not by anything specific to the MS
Office installer, but by a trap that exists in large drives
generally. Inquiring minds want to know.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ