<CT> Re: Ms Office 4.3 Professional

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:41:32 -0400

On Wednesday, September 18, 2002 1:41 PM, Douglas Robertson
<douglas.athome@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have installed Word, Powerpoint and Excel on my 386 laptop and they
> seem to be fine, and being very useful!

Looks as though you did a custom installation. I did a full
installation. So we didn't use the installer in exactly the same way.

Also, I didn't make floppies; I installed from the files on the hard
drive, which seemed to work, but isn't a supported method: see

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q170784

If you used floppies, that's another difference that might explain
why my drive was trashed and yours was not.

> Does this mean there is no virus (for me anyway) or does this mean
> that I just haven't seen any effects yet?

In my case, the effect was evident during installation. Installation
could not complete because the installer couldn't write to a Windows
file; apparently the disk had already been mangled.

Anyway, F-prot said the install files were virus-free. Mmaybe I had a
different sort of problem. Or maybe the installer is malicious but
not self-propagating, so it wouldn't be detected as a virus.

> Have any of you not experienced any problems?

I'm trying to find spare time to (a) set up a system I'm willing to
lose, and install on it the same way I installed on the system that
was damaged, and (b) use Lost & Found (a utility by Powerquest) to
try to recover the damaged drive. For (a), the sacrificial system
needs either a CD-ROM drive and a CD with the installation files
burned on it, or network hardware and software to transfer the files.
For (b), I need to install another physical drive, because I have
everything on one 20 gig drive, and Lost & Found needs another
physical drive to put the recovered files on.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ