<CT> Re: Microsoft discontinuing support for Linux

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:47:53 -0600 (MDT)

On May 18, Erwin Dokter directed electrons to calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>OK, now I'm back to being more confused then I had wanted... :)

It's all quite simple really... The simplex frominator is only
upside-down if there is a pulsed ion imbalance in Jeffries tube 14a,
otherwise it is furning tachymatter... <BG>

>You seem quite the expert. I suprises me you work as a prep-cook instead
>of as a unix admin, they make TRUCKLOADS of money!

I've often wondered that myself.. Maybe I'm dumb, or else I just have
cooking in my blood too much. :)

>In fact, here's what I'm gonna do... I want Linux. I want to start
>simple. I'm used to windows (duh) so I want to start with a simple
>desktop. However, I started out in DOS, so I'm not afraid of a command
>line :)

Excellent :)  It's the old DOS jockeys who do the best in Linux (for
most people)... All the modern "click the pretty button duhhhh" users
tend to do much less well.

>Which linux/wm/desktop should I start with? It should be able to run on
>my P133 with 32 MB (including X + wm), so not too much bloat please.
>Should be cheap too! :) I am not interested in the latest kernel; I
>believe many apps still run on older kernels, right? Netscape will be my
>main app.

Well, holy wars have been fought over matters lesser than which WM is
best <g>
Lessee, I am particularly fond of WindowMaker
(http://www.windowmaker.org), and that's fairly light. Now with only
32mb and P133, you definitely should avoid Gnome/GTK, which is rather
heavy, memory and CPU-wise. If you want a full desktop experience, then
KDE may be better, as it's a little lighter.

If you want a super-light super-simple window manager that just does the
barest basics and does it ultra-quickly, take a look at
sapphire.sourceforge.net.

As to distro, definitely avoid Mandrake, which is optimized to
higher-end PII and up. Redhat is good, but there are issues with 7.0 and
7.1. If you want to go RH, try getting ahold of RH 6.2, which is sweetly
put together :)

You could try Debian, which is a fairly light distro, but it's not too
terribly beginner-friendly. I'd say go with RH 6.2. You can get CDs for
El Cheapo at cheapbytes.com...

>If this goes well... I should have Kylix in a year and start porting
>Calmira :)

:)