<CT> Re: Microsoft discontinuing support for Linux

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 19:21:13 +0200

Brian L. Johnson wrote:

> On May 18, Erwin Dokter directed electrons to calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
>
> >So, if I get this right, the Window Manager is actually the equivalent
> >of the Windows GDI subsystem, which manages windows drawing and provides
> >an API giving access the screen... while components like Gnome / KDE are
> >equivalent of the Windows "shell", providing a basic user interface
> >allowing users to manage tasks and files.
>
> Well, yes and no...
> Tasks such as drawing the windows themselves, and their widget
> components (scrollbars, sliders, buttons, boxes etc) are the
> responsibility of the apps themselves. Tho in Linux, there are many
> multiple such widget libraries available.

OK, now I'm back to being more confused then I had wanted... :)

You seem quite the expert. I suprises me you work as a prep-cook instead
of as a unix admin, they make TRUCKLOADS of money! In fact, here's what
I'm gonna do... I want Linux. I want to start simple. I'm used to
windows (duh) so I want to start with a simple desktop. However, I
started out in DOS, so I'm not afraid of a command line :)

Which linux/wm/desktop should I start with? It should be able to run on
my P133 with 32 MB (including X + wm), so not too much bloat please.
Should be cheap too! :) I am not interested in the latest kernel; I
believe many apps still run on older kernels, right? Netscape will be my
main app.

If this goes well... I should have Kylix in a year and start porting
Calmira :)

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
   http://members.home.nl/edokter