<CT> Re: Looking good.

  • From: Erwin Dokter <e.dokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:01:25 +0200

William C Andrews wrote:

> Erwin, is it likely (ie >50% chance), that if you get
> LFN's working, that a Calmira machine networked to a
> 98 machine will see LFN's right across the network?

Unfortunately, no.

I attempted reading LFN's over a network, because the API seemed to be
readily available, but they turned out to be useless stubs in Windows
3.1x, just to provide API compatibility with DOS LANMAN's network
driver, which did provide some LFN capabilities.

The SMB (lanman) protocol used by windows 3.1/WfW 3.11 does not support
LFN's. Short of rewriting the entire network API, it cannot be done.

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:e.dokter@xxxxxxx