<CT> Re: Long File Name support for W3.11 on a single disk!!

  • From: changa mwene <mwenechanga@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:31:54 -0700

 http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos71/

I think this is most interesting.

Of course, it is totally illegal to d/l this if you don't own win98,
but since I do I'll try it out.  I remember we specifically had this
discussion about DOS7.0 though, and we determined that it does
not truly offer LFN support.  Once windows has run, DOS7.0 used
long filenames, even if you had completely exited windows. But if you
did not run windows you could not access LFNs under DOS7.0

I don't suppose I checked DOS7.1, because there's no reason for
it to be any different.  Or perhaps this guy tracked down the driver
that windows uses, and got it to load in DOS without windows running
first.  Any rate, a cool prospect.  It might mean LFN support for win31
users who are also win98 owners.