<CT> Re: Linux Threads

  • From: "Ross Nelson" <coutcin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 08:06:20 -0500

>Heh, I have used win2k and more than likely it is because of my own dumb
>fault or else because I thought SP2 would fix a USB issue which turned out
>to be a wrong Bios setting /Enabled USB for DOS <g> so I installed SP2 beta
>then found the real problem but I do not like it too much when out of the
>blue the system halts and reboots due to a fatal exception, I would much
>rather see the blue screen of death in win98 if I were to use Windows more
>often.  As I said in earlier posts I still have yet to find a graphics
>suite

Hehehe.  Sounds like something I'd do.

The GIMP, Photoshop, Windows Paint *;)*

>I truly like in Linux comparable to some of the tools available for windows
>so I have been using windows a great deal today but usually I assume let
>LiLo just load Linux automatically <g>

Some of us need Windows for computer illiterate siblings and problems with
modems...

>I know about the gimp and I do like that for some things but not all <g>.

What format can use a transparent background in The GIMP?  Any clue?

>Also in Win2K the system will automatically reboot on average of every 15
>mins and Win98 has been running for 12 or 13 hours without any errors

15mins?  I run for hours without rebooting.

>I am not really old either, probably older than you if memory serves but I
>can remember the days using my good ol' VIC 20 <G> That is still around
>here
>somewhere and still working! So who knows maybe I am old :P

Yep.  You're...20?  VIC 20?  Never heard of it.  :P

> > I have not heard of it.  What's the one down fault?
>GCC 2.96, need I say more?  Lets just say I completely believe it is the

No you need not.  That is a big problem.  What kind of an idiot would
release a broken compiler which is VERY important?  There are still others,
but most makefiles are set to use GCC (the ones I have looked at).

>Brian says "I don't think there's anything in the world wrong with
>having to think about your computer and understand what's going on
>with it and why. Knowledge is good, embrace it." I agree with the
>second part, but not the first part. Thinking is OK, but having to
>think for days or weeks before you can use your system is not OK. MS-
>Windows may be harder to keep running, but it's much easier to get
>running to begin with.

So, you learned all you know about your computer, or enough to have some
control at least (editing config files (including config.sys/autoexec.bat
and ini's), changing system stuff, installing software from zip files, in
under a week?  Whoa.  That's impressive!  ;P

>I am too and I use bash.exe under DOS too. ;-))
>It is around 90% compatibel with the Linux-Bash.

What do you use?  Just bash.exe, or cygwin?  I've tried to get cygwin
downloaded before, but it takes too long.  I'll try again after I check some
newsgroups and one more emial acct.

>Now Install Netscape Communicator 6.0.

LYNX!  LYNX!  LYNX!  LYNX!  LYNX!  LYNX!  LYNX!  :)  Hehehe.  I hate
NutScrape...always have.  But, I use it over most things on Linux, not that
I've been able to stay online for long.  Comp freezes with the modem in use.

>Thats nice, because for some Month I have selled a AMD K6/200 as Server
>and 8 Am486dx2/66 to a Kindergarden and ALL with Debian/GNU-Linux 2.1r3.
>
>The Childern love the Computer and it is the first touch with it.
>It was a private Kindergarden and they have not enough money for the Big
>Blown MS-Crap for around 14.000 US$ (30.000 DM).
>
>I have a fvwm95 at startup and installed around 80 Linux-Games,
>a Graphic Program and a easy to use Wordprocessor.
>
>The Childern don't care about the english language in the Windows
>becaus they know how to klick ;-))

Sweet!  I want to go to a school like that!  :)

>The first Linux Version was developed by Linus Torwalds in 1978.

*from linux.org...note the year he began work*
Linux is an operating system that was initially created as a hobby by a
young student, Linus Torvalds, at the University of Helsinki in Finland.
Linus had an interest in Minix, a small UNIX system, and decided to develop
a system that exceeded the Minix standards. He began his work in 1991 when
he released version 0.02 and worked steadily until 1994 when version 1.0 of
the Linux Kernel was released. The current full-featured version is 2.4
(released January 2001) and development continues.

> >That is after a great deal of pain and greif getting netscape downloaded
> >because the file name was 40 charactors long with spaces...
>Never I have seen a Netscape TGZ file with spaces in its filename.
>I like to know where you have gotten this Netscape-File

Not from Netscape's site...I doubt they'd do something like that.

>not if MicroSchrott discontinue Win3x and
>we need a new platform for Calmira   ;-))

We don't _need_, we just want.

>9)      GUI for Dos ???         Oh yes, it's SEAL !!!

Gotta love SEAL!

> >The first Linux Version was developed by Linus Torwalds in 1978.
>Before there was even an IBM PC to run it on?  What did he use, a PDP-11?

Exactly...

>I'm sure most have us have been running Windows 3.x without any kind of
>support from M$ for years now (I certainly have). As a community I'm sure
>we have all the necessary information and updates to keep Windows 3.x
>alive. I'm not about to drop Windows 3.x just because Microsoft have and I
>think it would be a shame if the Calmira team did, and this list was taken
>over by Calmira/Linux issues.

I've filled out online forms and sent in letters...they do NOT have support
for Win3 as is.

>If you're in a vehicle going the speed of light, what happens when you turn
>on the headlights?

Good question..