<CT> Re: LFN --> SFN algorithm

  • From: Klaus.Osswald@xxxxxxxxxxx (Klaus J. Osswald)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:42:39 +0200

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> does anyone happen to have an algorithm to create unique short file
> names from long ones? (Like the one in Win95, I mean.) My boss could use
> one (it's planned to implement a descript.ion solution into an FTP
> client he found the sources of), so I thought I'd better ask here before
> the wheel gets invented twice ;).

You may place your question there:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/jsp/zonesAll.jsp

I really recommend that site for any specific kind of IT related problems.
So don't hesitate to create a free login & password there & then
ask your question in one of the topic areas. Beware: The search function at
that site doesn't work for quite a while now.
Anyway, the experts there are quite friendly (you may participate yourself)
& down to earth in their attitude.
It was at EE where I learned from the existence of the calmira_tips mailing
list, so I thought it would be fair to give the recommendation
back.