<CT> Re: LFN Comment & Qs

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:19:04 -0400

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:16:40 +0200, Gaby.Chaudry@xxxxxxxxxxx (Gaby
Chaudry) wrote:

> well, to be complete: there are LFN tools for DOS ....
> ftp://ftp.gaby.de/pub/dos/doslfn.zip

I was trying to read LIESMICH.TXT in that package, and (aside from my
weak knowledge of the German language) the file is written using the
DOS "OEM" ASCII extensions, not the ANSI extensions, so the umlaut
characters come out wrong in the notepad that comes with Windows XP.

I remember recently using a Windows viewer that had a menu option to
choose which ASCII extension set to use while viewing the file (not
just when opening it). But I don't remember what is was. Can anybody
identify such a viewer or editor?

I can see the file with the correct umlaut characters in my favorite
DOS tool, LIST (from Vern Buerg), but that isn't a Windows tool. MS
Word 6 for DOS will let me choose "DOS text" when it opens the file,
but if I guess wrong, I have to close the file and open it again. So
these are not what I'm looking for. What's the application or
accessory I'm looking for? Thanks....
--
                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ