<CT> Re: ISDN / TDSL with Windows 3.11/Calmira ?

  • From: Klaus.Osswald@xxxxxxxxxxx (Klaus Osswald)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:07:47 +0100

Hi Stephan,

thanks a lot for your abundant information
regarding ISDN/TDSL with Windows 3.11/Calmira.

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> I just looked through the calmira_tips archives, looking for the version
> of Calmira that'll run on NT 3.51, and happened to find this unanswered
> message:
> > To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: <CT> ISDN / TDSL with Windows 3.11/Calmira ?
> > From: Klaus.Osswald@xxxxxxxxxxx (Klaus Jürgen Osswald)
> > Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:07:42 +0100
> . . .
> > Any chance to use ISDN with
> > my Windows3.11/Calmira &
> > how to get it going if at all ?
> . . .

> It's a bit late,

No, it's never too late . . . (who said it ? )

> but anyway:

I haven't made up my mind for any ISDN/TDSL solution yet.
In past it always turned out to be useful & secure to collect essential
information first
before taking decisive steps. So when I visit a market for computer
equipment
I'll be able to watch out for any of the devices that you've listed below:

> Web access via ISDN here in .de is quite easy if you can find an ISDN
> card with Win 3.1 (CAPI) drivers (I have a Teledat 150 PCI, which is
> nothing but the first version of the Fritz!Card PCI - dunno if the
> latter also includes Win 3.1 drivers, though). Then you can access the
> 'net via the software v2.x (reportedly 3.0 will also work) of well-known
> ISP T-Online. (No provider hopping, you see.) The only drawback is that
> Java in Netscape >= 4.05 will stop working and freeze the browser
> instead. DSL is not much more complicated - a DSL router with integrated
> PPPoE support is the main component here.

Yeah, but if I understand right this means that I have to turn machine into

a DSL router which I can't do with a Win 3.11, right ?

> With such a thing, all the
> computers in a network can access the 'net provided they have TCP/IP
> support (which means that you should have WfW 3.11 with the TCP/IP stack
> from tcp32b.exe, not plain Win 3.11). Together with a nice 8-port switch
> I got of Ebay all my networked machines can access the 'net - regardless
> of whether they're running WfW 3.11, Win NT 3.51 (such as this one),
> Win95, Win98SE or Win2k. (Finding NICs with WfW 3.11 drivers is not
> overly difficult, but beware of those Realtek 8139 thingies - it's not
> funny if the system freezes for a few seconds every few minutes; 3Coms
> should be better).

yep, 3Coms are very reliable : )

BTW, you say you pulled this as an unanswered question out of the
Calmira_tips
archive. Did you refer to your personal archive, or is there an actual
address on the net ?
All I get is the Calmira_tips mailing list.
(Maybe I can contribute to some 'old' unanswered questions, too ; )

Thanks

Klaus