<CT> Re: Grrr...

  • From: wim.kalkman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:23:46 +0100

Brian wrote:

> After a prolonged struggle, I get DOS 6.22, WfWG 3.11 and the latest
> Calmira loaded on my old 486 laptop, and what does it do? It totally
> freezes, _HARD_ on startup (whether I start with progman or Calmira).
> Not even ctrl+alt+del work, I have to hit power.
>
> Any ideas on how I can solve this?
>
> Laptop is:
> 8mb RAM
> 350mb HD
> 640x480 only VGA LCD
> Intel 486
>
> -=Brian=-

Hi Brian,

I did see this behaviour in the past when the display driver was not
installed correctly. Did you setup the display with the windows setup
executable? Maybe the default driver is not compatible with the LCD.

Another advise I can give you is to start windows with (from my memory)
WIN /B (you can see the options with WIN /? )  Windows will generate an
bootlog.txt file in the windows directory while going through
system.ini, win.ini and control.ini with a comment if a driver was
loaded succesfully or has failed. Maybe you can find then which driver
causes the lockup.

greetings Wim. (forgive me any spelling errors)

mailto:wim.kalkman@xxxxxxxxxxx