<CT> Re: Graphics Cards

  • From: "Greg Fundyler" <LinuxPlaya@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:58:29 -0500

Hi. I have had 2 Matrox video cards before, and I have nothing good to
say about either. My first card, Matrox Mystique, was incompatible with
everything! It came with my first computer, a P200. When we bought the
computer the ad said a 3.2GB HD. But when we received it, it was instead
a 3.16GB HD. No big deal, right? WRONG! Any video settings you would try
to change in desktop properties would cause Windows 95 to hang and you
would have all kinds of problems. Finally they sent us the 3.2GB HD to
replace the other one, only then did the card work properly.
Recently I tried putting a PCI network card into it. (KNE111TX)
And again the card didn't work properly (640x480x16), said there were
compatibility problems... This time in Windows 98.

And the second card I used (in my sister's computer), was a Matrox
Millenium G200 AGP. Everything worked fine, until I tried to update the
driver in Windows 98SE. I booted to a black screen and Windows hung of
course. I put in an older PCI video card along with the Matrox card to
see what the problem could be. In details it just said that there were
problems and it would try to boot without detecting hardware.
I spent HOURS trying older drivers, updating and downdating(?) the video
bios. Nothing works!!

If I were you, I would go with the *other* card. ;)
Your mileage may vary, but these are my experiences with Matrox. Sorry
for the length of this e-mail, but I wanted to go into detail.

- Greg