<CT> Re: Good word processer?

  • From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:54:10 -0400

Hi Marty, I looked at the formats that my version of Word (at work-Microsoft
Word 2000 (9.0.4119 SR-1)) allows text to be "Saved As" and, "Word 2.x for
Windows (*.doc)" was among the other older Word versions as well as the
useful generic text formats (.txt, .rtf, even WordPerfect versions.)  If
Word versions and their backward compatibility is similar to the way Excel
works, it would seem that any current version of Word with this 'save'
option would be able to recognize doc formats older than 6 (or at least
those listed) no?

"Word v1.1 was not among the listed formats, but I wonder if 2.x is
compatible with earlier Word formats?  --don't know for sure.  -Bill

=====>snip<=====
In my experience, current versions of Microsoft Word won't accept any
Word format older than Word 6. If all you want to do on the newer
computer is print, then the freeware Word Viewer can "open documents
created with all previous versions of Word for Windows....

"You cannot edit an open document in Word Viewer 97. However, if you
have Word 97 installed, Word Viewer can open the document in Word.
You can also copy text to the Clipboard to paste it in other
applications." I have used the last mentioned procedure to edit Word
2 documents.
--
                                                Marty