<CT> Re: Dual Printers on Win3.1

  • From: "Joshua Brannon" <jbrannon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:38:12 -0500

>I know I can get a card to make an LPT2, maybe even find a way to attach
it to
>the old scuzzy bus (assuming I could find an antique card), but what about
>a 2-way parallel port switch? Can I install both printers on LPT1 using
>the switch to choose which one is attached? I realize I'll have to select
>which printer to print to, but will I have to re-boot to do this? Seems
>like that shouldn't be necessary, but a local shop said it will be.

Careful of switches with a laser printer. I think I remember reading that
it has to
be a digital auto-switcher to keep from spiking the printer. I don't know
that from
experience, though. :-)

>Is there some other inexpensive and simple way to do this. Getting a
>network up and buying the cards seems overkill. I'll probably only use
>the color printer once a month.

Do you have an open serial port? Get a parallel-serial adapter, and hook
the color
printer up to a serial port. Office Depot has 'em for like 6 bucks.

HTH.
Joshua