<CT> Re: DOS networking...

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:37:43 -0600 (MDT)

The Entity currently known as Erwin Dokter emitted:

>If you do run WfW 3.11, I *highly* recommend using it's build in network
>suport instead; it uses 32-bit drivers which are a lot more stable then
>the MS-DOS real mode drivers. Don't forget to download MSTCPIP for WfW.

Well, that didn't go well... I loaded the built-in network stuff
along with mstcpip, and as it wanted, I rebooted. After reboot,
Windows startup would bomb with "Not enough extended memory" (to
start Windows)... The mem command shows 502k free, and 31m of XMS
(the computer has 32m of RAM total)

Had to restore the system.ini file (uninstalling network support in
the process) to get Windows to load.

>Put one of the above packages on MS-DOS and throw Samba on your linux
>box Samba acts as an NT Server towards LanMan clients.

Tried that... I installed msclient, configured it et al. Named the
win31 computer "lal", and the Linux box has always been named "tux",
both hostname-wise, and Samba-wise..

So I start Samba on Tux with it set as browseable, browse master,
et al... And "net use" on Lal can't see Tux for anything. Tux
doesn't even exist to Lal.

>EVERYTHING out there supports the good old 3COM Etherlink III 3c509.

LOL... Yep, that's why I grabbed that card when I saw it. It's
pulled many a megabyte on several different computers now. Best $5
I've spent in a long time. :)

Tux runs an Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100, which although is not
quite as ubiquitous, is still a fairly well supported card.

[sigh] What else can we try?

-=Brian=-
rm -rf /bin/laden