<CT> Re: Calmira in standard mode

  • From: Alan Grimes <alangrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:59:45 -0500

John wrote:
> I have a 286 16MHz board laying around with 4-30 pin slots.  I also
> have more than enough 1 meg 30 pin simms laying around.  Maybe sometime
> next weekend if I have some extra time, I will try to put it together
> back into a computer and see if I can get win3 + calmira running...  It
> woud be interesting anyways <g>

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Win 3.1 but NOT WIN 3.11 will run just
fine on it. (the core of win 3.11 is 32 bit)

The 286 is a true 16 bit computer. SIMMs must be installed in *PAIRS*.

The 286 is one of the most under-appreciated chips in the world.
Its only real flaw was being born in an XT world... The problem was that
once you switched the beast into Protected Mode, there was no turning
back... When you are in that mode you could run a fully modern operating
system. Unfortunately it offered no facility to run virtual machines for
all the legacy software, a facility that was featured on the 386...

Also note the 286 has a 24 bit address bus so the theoretical maximum
ammount of memory is 16 megabytes.

There is a very good chance that your system will indeed support 16
megabytes.

Other operating systems that will run on that board are OS/2 1.x
versions. And also the educational OS, called MINIX.

--
Perhaps I will upgrade my OS from Win 3.11...
But It has to be more sophisticated than Win 3.11.