<CT> Re: Calmira below minimum requirements: CGA & File Manag er

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:07:39 +0100

MOY, WILLIAM wrote:

> I'm not a Windows Programmer, but are all these libraries necessary for
> function or do much of them help Calmira look pretty?

Calmira was compiled using Delphi, which incorporates a framework called
the Visual Component Library. These code libraries (not dll's) provide
not only the look for components (like buttons and comboboxes), but also
provides the core functionality of a windows appication. Without the
VCL, I would have to write everything myself for drawing windows and
controls, and interacting with windows using messages and API calls. The
VCL does all that for me (well, most of the time...)

The secret that makes Calmira 'looks pretty' is the fact that it uses
custom components, usually by extending exisiting components, or
creating new ones. Also, Calmira does a lot of 'owner-drawing' to
provide a look similair to windows 95. Drawing these controls requires
little extra code and have no speed penalties.

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
   http://members.home.nl/edokter