<CT> Re: Calmira and "MS DOS 7.1"

  • From: "ZeroSky" <zerosky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:55:19 -0700

"I've heard about this supposed MS DOS 7.1 by Weingier, however, before
I could recommend another Calmira user to try it, it should be noted that
this particular "version" is Chinese.  I've never tried it myself either."

Doesn't it come in both? The version I tried a while back from him was all
in English.

"From my examination
of Wengier's DOS 7.1, this is what they have done, is simply
create a "setup"
routine for those "old DOS" (as Microsoft calls them) files.
Yes, I realise some
would call it "Abandonware"...but since MS still officially "supports"
Win98SE, then the DOS included with it is, by extension, also
supported and cannot be termed "abandoned software"...yet!

See you later,
Glenn"

There is a little more to it than that, actually. Besides having a setup
that will easily set itself up to dual-boot with other versions of Windows,
he also includes some other utilities with it, such as built-in LFN support
from pure DOS, and some other things that I'm not remembering at the moment
(been a while since I've messed with it). However, you are definitely
correct in noting that the legality of what he has done (taken MS-DOS files,
repackaged them, added some things, and redistributed them) is certainly
questionable at best. So far Microsoft hasn't noticed or done anything about
it, but that doesn't make it legal. I suppose one could argue that it might
be okay if you already own Windows 98, but that'd still be questionable.
It's too bad, too, because it is pretty nice, better than DOS 6.22 if you're
running it on a large drive (since it has full FAT32 support among other
things, yet is easier to setup than pulling the DOS files from Windows 98
yourself).

-ZeroSky

...freaked.
http://freaked.2ya.com