<CT> Re: CPU's

  • From: Alan Grimes <alangrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:55:46 -0500

Matt Bahls wrote:
> I'm going to be getting a new computer sometime this summer (I'll be
> keeping my current Win3.11 machine though just to play around on) and I
> am looking at a computer with an AMD Duron chip.

The AMD thunderbird processor is their best, and its only $25 more than
their Duron... (At 800 mhz, which is what I'm using...) The external bus
is a 2x100, Even with the thunderbird's advanced caching system it is
still foolish to go above a 4x clock multiplyer. Hopefully, in a few
months, the RAM (which is only 133 mhz on mine) will improve to twice
that (look for 266 mhz or 133mhz DDR)...

On today's systems the RAM is the most critical bottleneck. Pick the
fastest ram/"FSB" you can... (FSB doesn't mean much if the ram is much
slower, my system is effectively limited to 133 mhz due to its ram...)

My old P100 was falling appart after 4 years of service (I got the
motherboard I was using in winter of '96, the processor had dated to a
year before that...) that I had to retire it and I got the older Athalon
version... Today the Athlon is both more expensive and slower than the
Thunderbird. The reasons are a bit complex but again I'd suggest you put
most of your budget into the CPU, RAM and motherboard. You'll hate
yourself much more for skimping on these three parts than any other part
of the system... Of those three the motherboard is the most critical.
Expect to pay $150 for one that is really worth it!

(Assembeling it yourself is the only way to guarentee top-quality).

--
Perhaps I will upgrade my OS from win 3.11...
But It has to be *better* than win 3.11...

Unsolicited "spam" messages to this account are subject to usage fees
and
in cases of fraud or egregeous abuse, prosecution.